Sarah Watson reviews Mind the Gap's Contained / 25 February 2016
Contained 'True Stories from the Heart' took place at the New Wolsely Theatre, Ipswich on 9 March. Review by Sarah Watson.
“CONTAINED is a vibrant, compelling and personal new show from England’s largest professional learning-disabled theatre company; nine interwoven stories about family and friendships, love and loss, the everyday and the extraordinary”.
Mostly the show was really good and different from what I have seen before. It was nice to hear other views of the actors’ everyday lives including relationships, life skills, what they have seen in the arts and developed in music and the arts.
I was a bit confused at one point where there were lots of different things happening on the stage and on several screens all at the same time. And I wasn’t keen on the live use of a green screen.
Really good things included:
- The visual clips like spending an evening in the Louvre in Paris, France, which reminded me of when I was there. I want to go back now.
- A scene of company members playing musical instruments on a sunny day on green grass fields.
- The band was really good. It was really good for me to see so many other drummers.
- The acting and music was well suited to the themes of the show.
- I especially liked Jez Colborne’s singing.
Keywords: learning disability,music,performing arts